One of the regions in Ghana that definitely offers some amazing sites is the western region. These sites include seaside resorts, rivers, lakes, Nature reserve, park, forest, wildlife and Castles. This is one reason why in Ghana, it is believed the best certainly comes from the west. Read on to discover more about these sites.
The village of Nzulezo (Nzulezu) is located near the village of Beyin, approximately 90 kilometers west of Takoradi, in the Jomoro District of the Western Region of Ghana. Nzulezo overlooks the Lake Tadane, and is entirely made up of stilts and platforms. In the year 2000, it was nominated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and it is a major tourist attraction in that area.
The village’s name “Nzulezo” in Nzema language, means “water surface”. The village was built by a group of people from Oualata, a city of the ancient Ghana Empire and in present-day Mauritania, which came about from following a snail according to local legend.
Nzulezo was built over Lake Tadane and consists of stilt-supported structures incorporated seamlessly with the water-dominated natural landscape. In the village there is a church and a school.
Bia National Park
Bia national park is located near the Ivorian border in the Western Region of Ghana. Bia was created in 1935 and named after the Bia River which drains the area. It became an official national park in 1974.
It is also a biosphere reserve with a 563 square kilometer resource reserve. It has some of Ghana’s last remnants of relatively untouched forest complete with its full diversity of wildlife. Some of the tallest trees left in West Africa are found in this national park.
There are 62 species of mammals (including 10 primate species) known to live in the park, and over 160 species of birds, including the endangered white-breasted guinea fowl. The park is also the only known home of the newly discovered species of lizard, Agama Sylvanus. Ghana’s major protected forest antelope communities also live in the park.
Butre has striking ruins of the 1656-constructed Fort Batenstein, situated on a hill, with its magnificent views of the surrounding village, coast, lagoon, rock formations, forest, fields and hills that you cannot forget after your visit to this amazing site.
It is a small fishing village sited on a sheltered bay by a forest, between the communities of Busua and Asemkaw, roughly 20 kilometers southwest of Takoradi. Now home to nearly 400 inhabitants, largely from the Ahanta ethnic group, Butre was among the early historical towns generated by 17th century inter-European and inter-African conflict.
The village has a Town Tourism Development Committee. In the village centre, there is a tourist information booth with able tour guides on hand to show visitors around and provide tourist. Enjoy sunbathing, relaxing and eating at one of the beach lodges. Photos of the spectacular sunset can be taken for everlasting memories. At Butre, You will find a serene atmosphere worth its name.
Fort San Sebastian
Fort San Sebastian, the third oldest fortification in Ghana is situated in Shama. It was built by the Portuguese from 1520 to 1526 as a trading post in and captured by the Dutch West India Company in 1642. The original purpose of the fort was to serve as a deterrent to English sailors meddling in Shama trade.
The first black European university professor, Anton Wilhelm Amo, lies interred in the fort’s graveyard. The fort was abandoned with the whole Dutch Gold Coast to Britain in 1872. During the time of the African Slave Trade, kidnapped enslaves Africans were imprisoned here while awaiting transport to North America.
Fort Metal Cross
Fort Dixcove as formerly called is a military structure in Dixcove, Ghana. The construction Fort Metal Cross began from 1683 to 1698 as a result of ongoing conflicts with the local people by the English Royal African company to serve as a trading post for the gold and the slave trade.This is one of the numerous forts in the western region that gives so much information concerning the slave trade.